Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More thoughts

I've been responding to posts in the redflagdeals.ca forum and can see that others are thinking about finishing their basements too. Do it yourself and you will save money.

I just re-read through my whole blog and have some after thoughts that might answer questions.

Basement temperature
In March we still had winter weather and my basement was 67° with the lights off. The lights on at the maximum can bring the temperature up to 73°. It's pretty comfortable but next winter I will get an electric fireplace to speed up the warming process.

My basement window goes into my ceiling
This was the last thing I did before tape and mud because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I ended up building a window box. It is crooked by 3/4" and was a pain to build, drywall and paint. Consider convering up the window altogether.

Ceiling tiles
I picked more expensive 2 X 2 regressed ceiling tiles and I think they look good. I think I could have stuck with plain looking 2 X 2 tiles and it would have looked good too. 2 X 4 looks a little too commercial in my opinion.

Carpet and underpad
I chose more expensive berber carpet (with a pattern) and more expensive underpad. I would not chose the same carpet again. The seems show a little and I think plush would have hidden it more. The underpad was worth it for the floor ... not so much for the stairs.

Tar paper
I didn't realize I needed it and it was a pain to install. I quickly switch from sealant to staples in order to fasten it to the framing. I would consider polystyrene insulation if I had to do it over again. I think if you use polystyrene properly (sealing and glueing) you can skip the one inch space, tar paper and vapour barrier... double check that though. FYI I think it's also the Mike Holmes approach but I've seen him use spay foam too.

Pocket Door
The pocket door was a great choice in my opinion. I can still use that corner. It was easy to hang. It looks pretty good too.


I'm sure I'll even have more thoughts and follow up posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...but you didn't.
Did you sell your house? Did the permits make a difference in the sale?