Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Drywall done

I actually finished Sunday but I've been a little lazy and didn't take the time to upload any pics. It took me a few days and 4 extra sheets of drywall but I'm done.

My one big challenge was getting the sheets of drywall down to the stairs. Unfortunately my stairs are too narrow and I had to break the sheets in half to get them down.

In my opinion drywall is pretty easy and it's definitely exciting because it signals I'm nearing the end. My job would have been ever easier if I had done it before because I made some small mistakes that caused me a little pain. I should have taken more time to make sure my soffit was plum. The fact that it isn't plum will probably show a little because it's in the line of sight. Another consideration is that I should have made sure that there were stud every 16" and not less... it just makes it easier to put in the 4' X 8' sheets of drywall.

I have someone coming in to do the taping, mudding and sanding. I'm hoping they'll start on Friday and finish on Monday... at least that's what the guy said. It should be a little easier because I'm doing a drop ceiling. FYI many contractors wouldn't even consider the job because it's too small... from what I understand all the contractors are busy trying to get the big jobs at this time of year.

Here are the walls waiting for mud:










I'll be taking the time off this weekend to pick out carpet and get the rest of my supplies:
  • primer
  • paint
  • ceiling tiles and hardware
  • post cover
  • trim
  • vent covers

I just might be done by Superbowl. Wish me luck.

No comments: