On Tuesday I received an email that my permit was ready for pick up. I asked my girlfriend to pick it up for me while I was still in Toronto that way I could start once I returned. She had to initial a couple of the notes on my design plan and she left with permit in hand. There were very few notes:
- minimum door width requirements
- minimum headroom (although it was already in my notes)
- heating and cold air return
- foundation insulation requirements
- something that looks like a halfmoon with 5A above it (I'll explain later)
All of the notes made sense to me however I didn't realize they needed to see it on the design. I would have put those notes in there. I had no clue what the 5A symbol represented and even after hours of searching for building design symbols I still couldn't figure it out.
There was also a note on the permit that stated I needed to call my building inspector (BI) before starting.
I left a message for BI on Wednesday afternoon and BI called me back early this morning (the very next day). BI grabbed a copy of the design plan and explained that the halfmoon 5A symbol was actually an "SA" or smoke alarm symbol. Because I already have one at the bottom of the basement stairs BI said I don't need one in the rec room. I also asked BI about how to tie in the existing insulation and the new insulation and BI said just tear down the old where you need to and "do what you need to do to make it work". BI also noted that I need to leave a one inch space between the foundation wall and the interior wall.
Everything is now green lighted and I'm ready to get this party started. I'm going to The Home Depot tonight to order all the stuff I need for delivery. It should be about $1000 in total. That will include:
- studs
- plates
- plywood
- pocket door frame
- insulation
- vapor barrier
- drywall
- corner bead
I will also need to buy the Tapcon screws, the framing nails and a hammer drill before starting. I am planning on scanning in the building permit as well as my stamped designs.

No comments:
Post a Comment