Monday, November 3, 2008

Time to get to work

Saturday morning at around 8am I got a call from The Home Depot delivery guy stating he would be by between 8:30 - 8:45am to deliver all my stuff minus the pressure treated bottom plates (8 @ 2 X 4 X 8). Apparently they are out of stock. It's not a big deal because I can pick up 8 myself.

He showed up exactly when he said he would and in a few minutes he had a skid of insulation placed in my garage and another skid of lumber and drywall in my driveway. I thought for a second he was going to try and put the lumber/drywall skid in my garage too but no so. He informed me that a standard garage opening is 7'10" and obviously my 8' long material wouldn't make it through. It didn't matter to me anyway because I was going to bring the lumber inside that day.

At 9am Tracy and I got started moving the building materials. By 10:30 we had moved 83 studs into the basement through the window, 9 bundles of insulation to the back of the garage and 19 sheets of drywall to the side of our garage. I also moved the pocked door frame and vapour barrier to the basement. I eyeballed every stud and made two piles... straight ones and wonky ones. I had to move all this stuff around because I want to park my car in the garage. It's getting closer to winter and I don't want to have to scrape my windows in the morning. Here's the pics:

Lumber, Pocket door, vapour barrier


Insulation


Drywall


My car just barely fits.

Later in the afternoon I picked up the remaining 8 pieces of pressure treated lumber and a box of Tapcons. FYI Tapcons are the special concrete screws that will be used to fasten the plates to the concrete slab. I bought a box of 100 screws and it comes with the drill bit to predrill the holes.

Side note on PT lumber
Apparently I don't necessarily need to use pressure treated (PT) lumber for the floor plates as long as I put some vapour barrier between regular lumber and concrete to protect the wood from moisture. The Home Depot guy also suggested these pink foam strips as an alternative. I thought about it but then realized that the cost of the pink stuff was a little higher than PT lumber. So my plan is to use vapour barrier underneath and PT lumber. It's a little more expensive but at least I know the bottom of our walls won't rot.


Sunday night after enjoying a relaxing day of watching football I started removing the old insulation. It was pretty easy and the bundles of remnant folded up nicely. I threw them in garbage bags in preparation for a curbside disposal. My plan is to put out an extra garbage can of home reno crap every week that way I wouldn't need to drive all the way out to the dump in Barrhaven.

I'm ready to demo the remaining wall and start layout out the plates. Now the real work begins, wish me luck.


FYI, I'm already late according to my own workplan... can you tell I work for the government. It's only one week and I should be able to make it up during the framing phase.

No comments: